Friday, October 13, 2006

Coming Clean

I haven't found the time to go through the 1300+ photos taken on the Europe trip yet, so I thought I'd take this opportunity to come clean about the Ruby photo. In case there was any doubt, this was a joke. Although I did not conceive of the hoax, I was certainly an accomplice! :) It started out as a way of teaching some Photoshop techniques. Then we thought it would be a fun prank to pull on our workmates at Helix, after hearing all of the stories about the building we were in.

Being a skeptic myself, I did not think the hoax would be successful at all. I thought the truth would be revealed within the hour, and did not intend for it to continue for as long as it did. Keep in mind that unless you were at Helix, this photo was not even intended for you. But wow, did it spread fast, and get WAY out of hand! I hear at one point we even had somebody at Harvard verifying the authenticity of the photo!

As time went on, I actually ended up really enjoying all the conversations that were sparked by the photo. It got people thinking about what they believe... life after death, spirits, god. And it revealed a lot about the people who viewed it... who were skeptics and who were believers, who could take a joke and who couldn't! :) I just hope that you believe me now when I say that no malice was intended when this photo was created. All in good fun! :)

Carrie

3 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Thornhill said...

I was at the SWOG wrap party last night, and spoke to some of the people who were targetted for this prank, and I was relieved that all, without exception, thought it was great fun! The woman who's story this photo was based on, says she didn't feel duped because in her mind it's true. She really did see a woman sitting in that chair in that corner, so this photo was almost like a dramatization of the actual event.

On another note, I found out that the Helix building is now a stop on the Sydney Ghost Tour! :) Crazy.

4:55 p.m.  
Blogger David Germain said...

THAT GHOST WASN'T REAL???!!!

So then the Easter Bunny in my cucumber garden, Santa Claus under my bed, and Chris Farley orbitting my house shouting stuff is all in my head too? I........ I don't know what to think anymore. (:O

11:41 a.m.  
Blogger Laverathos said...

DAMN YOU THORNHILL!!!

I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS!!! AND THEN YOU PULL THIS KIND OF STUFF?!?!?!?!?

I DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU ANYMORE!!!


PS-Ha, you had me fooled.

2:52 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home